CLC at Cheltenham Jazz Festival
Once again, Cheltenham was humming to the sound of Jazz for six days and our girls were able to take advantage of this world-class festival on College's doorstep in Montpellier Gardens.
- A behind the scenes trip to the rehearsal of 'Friday Night is Music Night', including a Q&A with leading musicians and singers taking part, followed by a trip to the event in the evening which was broadcast live on BBC Radio 2.
- A trip for over 50 Lower College girls to see a rising stars event on Sunday afternoon in the Festival’s main venue, the Big Top.
- A trip for our Music Scholars to see musicians from two conservatoires collaborating in our Parabola Arts Centre.
- Visit from well-known DJ and presenter Jo Whiley, who visited College to discuss her career in music.
- CLC Jazz Band performance on the Free Stage in Montpellier Gardens on Saturday morning, with a wonderful audience response.
- A Jazz Prayers, led by the prefects and including performances from several of our talented musicians.
- Access for our SFC girls to top tickets for Nigel Kennedy, Kansas Smitty and Clare Teal, Imelda May, Christian McBride, Kamasi Washington and Corinne Bailey Rae.
- Girls of all ages visited the Festival site over the weekend to listen to music from the Free Stage and take part in free activities.
In addition, the Development Department hosted a sold out drinks for members of our community before the Imelda May performance on Saturday night.
CLC is proud to be a strategic partner of Cheltenham Festivals. Thank you to everyone that got involved!
Ms Sian Morgan, Development Manager - Major Gifts
Feedback from SFC1 attendees
Jo Whiley Event
“An afternoon full of stimulating questions and exciting anecdotes. I particularly enjoyed hearing about her new favourite act, Rag ‘n’ Bone Man, who she has seen grow from 'BBC Introducing' to the pop charts, and it was fascinating to learn that she was one of the first DJs to play Ed Sheeran’s debut single The A Team on the radio. It is so inspiring to know what an impact she has had on young musicians’ careers and her unique knowledge of the industry was invaluable to many girls who attended the talk.” - Regina
Nigel Kennedy Event
"Very interesting style of playing. His different take on Bach was fantastic." - Violet
Imelda May Event
"Despite being more of a rock singer, I thoroughly enjoyed Imelda May’s performance at the Jazz Festival. May held the audience with witty and engaging chat, but amazed us with her versatile voice. Going from being a powerhouse, to singing delicate acoustic sat at the front the stage. A truly great performance, from a brilliant performer." - Aoife
Corinne Bailey Rae Event
"Thank you for giving us the opportunity to see Corrine Bailey Rae. The concert was fabulous. The weather was wonderful and I totally lost myself to the music." - Natalia
"Corrine Bailey put on an amazing show and really let her amazing voice and unique style shine through. An amazing way to end the Festival!" - Regina